Just lost data

Sorry Ian, but you are just being pedantic and unreasonable at this point. I could of course sell you a slogan like “It will be the best undo you have ever seen”. If that will make you happy, read that.

I am just being objective and trying not to BS you. We have worked hard to make the undo much, much better. In our testing, it is working 100% of the time. But anyone who writes software knows that when you ship it to 100K users, there can be things you didn’t think of or scenarios that arise rarely. We are not in the business of spinning stories like many of the bigger software companies. You get honesty here.

9 Likes

lan,

Software is software and never perfect. I lost data from using Microsoft tools as well, it sucks but, its software. I don’t think there is a software suite I’ve used in my career that I haven’t lost something at some point, including Apple Notes. I think the developer saying “We also have made changes that make undo a lot more reliable”, is certainly a fine thing to say in acknowledging an issue and making improvements. Saying something like “undo will work properly” is a subjective statement because properly based on whose opinion? How can they guarantee undo will “work” when there is so much between the desktop software and the backend data-store? Anything could happen from the point of “undo” to when the transaction is reversed and the data refreshed.

I expect acknowledgement of bugs, fixing bugs and trying not to repeat those bugs from developers of software that I use. That is all I can expect. I cannot expect perfection because that is impossible. And I am not sure which programs you use but over my 35 years of using software and software development, “undo” has not worked 100% of the time. I’ve lost plenty of data from Oracle, Adobe, Microsoft, Apple, IBM etc.

2 Likes

I agree, any program can lose data, but in my use of Agenda, I continuously lost data. That can’t happen.

Regards, Ian Clark

Where it’s caused by undo, that will not happen anymore after the update. Hope that gives the assurance you were looking for.

I wrote in about a data loss issue recently that was caused by the undo system. Obviously I was not happy, but I learned to keep a backup of important notes while I wait for the undo update, and I haven’t lost anything since anyway. Just sharing a counterpoint to Ian’s. :slight_smile:

Just to chime in that the promised improvements to undo are in the upcoming update that’s currently in beta.

1 Like

Very excited about Undo!!! I’m in love with Agenda, but having a broken undo feels like playing with fire or Russian roulette. I’ve worked almost exclusively in Agenda because of how awesome it is, would absolutely hate to lose all of it. Another useful feature would be export / import into an Agenda supported archive, so we can export and back it up if need be — I’ve copied the folder from ~/Library/Containers/com.momenta.agenda.macos to Dropbox but still don’t feel at east.

I want to pay for your product so badly once this undo thing is fixed!!

1 Like

I still don’t know how a company can sell a product that has a major flaw. Unfortunately I paid for it. I actually paid to lose data! I would work for hours on my work lists, then with some unknown combination of key strokes, my work would disappear forever.

Don’t tell me that you didn’t know that this was happening.

Regards, Ian Clark

Undo does not have a major flaw. Most of the time it does work fine, even though it is a bit slow. In some rare cases, which we were never able to reproduce, it could cause unexpected results. Ie it had bugs, like all software.

We have now rewritten it completely. It is much faster, and much more stable. The new system is simpler, so we can see how it is working better.

There was no malice here. We did not ship undo knowing it had major problems. It only became clear it has some problems later, and even then, they were relatively rare, and difficult to reproduce in testing. That’s why we decided it was better to completely change how we were doing it, and the beta shows it does work better now.

Dear Devs,

I have not (yet) lost any data, but as a paying customer I am of course worried about it. I would like to ask for a decent backup solution (besides iCloud sync, since this is not always possible - ie. not everything you want to store there and there could be situations where you are not even allowed to use that). It seems to me that it would be very easy to add an option to the preferences part of the iOS/Mac software which would attach the whole agenda file to an email and you could send it to yourself - as a first step. Later on you could have other solutions like WEBDAV support, or (especially for business folks) company supported OneDrive accounts (many companies using iPads now - business opportunity for Agenda).

In the meantime could you let me know if there is any way to see where the whole agenda file is located on an iPAD, and whether there is any way to manually “share” that as a backup? I am aware that one can send agenda files per project but that is a bit tedious with many projects…

Thanks a lot for your answer!

If you make iCloud backups on your iOS device and/or use TimeMachine on your Mac your Agenda file should be included in these. Your library is located in ~/Library/Containers/com.momenta.agenda.macos.development/

I highly recommend using Time Machine with your Mac. Buy a cheap external drive, and do a backup each day or week. Much more peace of mind, not only for Agenda, but for all your data.

1 Like

Thanks Guys - I appreciate the help. In this case my issue that I use Agenda on the iPad only and I have a Windows machine for work. I love Agenda, it really makes my life organised and have a ton of ideas to suggest… But I need to back it up somehow, only from the iPad. And yes I could use the iTunes on Windows as well and make a copy of the whole iPAd, but it would be so much easier to just have a copy of the Agenda file emailed or save on a cloud which is actually supported by my company (OneDrive). I cannot use iCloud…At least if I can share a full category, rather than just project by project… I looked for the Agenda file location on the iPad, but did not find it on Files…

You may be able to find it using iExplorer. Not entirely sure.

would be amazing if there was an XML import/export tool :slight_smile:

BUT, thank you SO much for speeding it up AND fixing undo! You have my money!!!

1 Like

Please note that the Agenda file export/import is nothing else than a zipped up JSON representation of the internal format we use, which means it’s a lossless data format you could use.

this just happened to me. backspace in search and just lost most of my data. I have some really old stuff still. very sad :(. Luckily I iCloud has most of it, just missing the last few days. Would be nice to have a sync button with iCloud. Now I’m not sure what will happen when it syncs. Will it grab the data from iCloud or tell iCloud to remove everything?

Also of note, I checked and this directory does not exist:
~/Library/Containers/com.momenta.agenda.macos.development/

Are you perhaps using an older version? We have changed this issue a long time ago, it should no longer be possible to delete items by using backspace in the search field.

Also, note that the directory you mention is the development version, the correct location is:

~/Library/Containers/com.momenta.agenda.macos/

I’m on desktop mac version 6.0.1