Import, Export, Sharing, and Automation

pdf
import
export
markdown

Import and Export

You need to be able to move notes into Agenda from other apps, and receive notes from other people who have Agenda. Agenda allows importing of duplicate copies of notes and projects, and can also handle standard formats like text and markdown.

Agenda Notes

If you need to import notes from another Agenda user, the best approach is to use the Agenda File format. Select the note or project you want to export, and choose File > Export > Agenda File.

To import, just double click the Agenda file in Finder, or choose File > Import > Agenda File, and locate the file.

Agenda Files contain all of the information that Agenda uses, and are thus the most complete representation of your notes. They are the best way to send a duplicate note or project to someone else, or to archive notes and projects.

Apple Notes

If you have been using Apple Notes prior to Agenda, you probably have a lot of information in that app. You can import it into Agenda using the menu item File > Import > Apple Notes. This imports all of the Apple Notes data made available to Agenda, and creates a separate category of projects. You will probably want to go through those and drag notes to other projects in Agenda.

At the time of writing, Agenda doesn’t support attachments or inline images, so these are not brought into Agenda from Apple Notes.

PDF

PDF is one of the most widely used document formats around, and PDF export is supported in Agenda. It allows you to share beautifully formatted documents with others, regardless of what computing platform they are using (e.g. Windows, Android).

To export a note or project in PDF format, select it, and choose File > Export > PDF File.

Exported files will include an Agenda watermark until the Premium Feature Pack has been purchased.

Rich Text

The rich text format (RTF) was introduced by Microsoft, and is well supported on Windows and macOS. It includes text, with styling information including fonts. One advantage of RTF over PDF is that the result is readily editable.

To export a note or project in RTF format, select it, and choose File > Export > Rich Text File.

Exported files will include an Agenda watermark until the Premium Feature Pack has been purchased.

Markdown

Markdown is a popular text-based format used a lot by blogging software and other web sites. Agenda can import and export in this format, making it useful for preparing blog posts and other content destined for online use.

To export a note or project in markdown format, just select it, and choose File > Export > Markdown.

Importing markdown is just as easy: select the project that you wish to import into, and use the menu item File > Import > Markdown.

Markdown import and export requires you to purchase the Premium Feature Pack.

HTML

HTML is the format used on the web. Agenda can export notes and projects as HTML, for use on web sites and in other apps that can handle HTML.

To export as HTML, select the note or project you wish to export, and choose File > Export > HTML.

HTML export requires you to purchase the Premium Feature Pack.

Copy and Paste

Sometimes it is simpler to copy data to the clipboard, in order to transfer it to another note in Agenda, or even into another app.

Agenda supports copying of data between notes in the app, but also copying of text for use in other apps. You can even copy a link to the selected note or project for inclusion in another app, and have Agenda open to that note or project when you click the link.

To copy text, select the text, and choose Edit > Copy. To copy a whole note, click the top of a note to select it, and choose Edit > Copy.

If you want want to copy a particular format of data, such as markdown, choose Edit > Copy As, and select the format you would like.

Some options in Copy As require you to purchase the Premium Feature Pack.

Sharing

Sharing allows you to send your notes and projects straight to another app or online service, without having to export a file first. Agenda supports standard sharing extensions, which means it will adapt to what is available on your Mac.

Sharing with Other Apps

To share a note or project with another app, select it, and choose an option from the Share menu. The contents of the menu will vary based on the apps you have installed, and what each app is capable of importing. When you select an app, you can see what formats you are able to send.

When you make a selection, you will usually get shown a form by the system, which should be updated before sending the data.

Sharing Agenda Links

One very powerful way to use Agenda with other apps is to share links. This allows you to jump from one app to the other as needed, opening exactly what you need.

Many apps accept Agenda Links via the Share menu. Just select the app, and choose Agenda Link (if available). Even if an app cannot accept an Agenda Link, you might be able to use Edit > Copy As > Agenda Link to transfer the link into the other app.

Printing

Printing of documents has been somewhat superseded by sharing of digital documents, but Agenda does support printing to paper, as well as PDF. Just choose File > Print to generate a beautifully formatted copy of the currently selected project or note.

Automation and Integration

Siri Shortcuts

Agenda for iOS supports Siri shortcuts for common actions like opening a certain note, project or overview. Learn more about it here:

x-callback-url support

Agenda also supports for x-callback urls. These allow you to couple workflows between apps and/or automate certain actions within Agenda. It’s also supported by Apple’s Shortcuts app.

A quick intro to x-callback-urls:

• The URL scheme is agenda or agenda-notes
  • Commands currently include on-the-agenda, today, open-project, etc. See below for a complete list.
  • For “open-project” and “open-note”, you can stipulate the target using a title parameter.
  • As usual, you can supply callback URLs via optional x-success and x-error parameters.

For example, to open Agenda to a note called “Meeting With Peta”, you could use this URL:
agenda://x-callback-url/open-note?title=Meeting%20With%20Peta

Supported actions:

• open the On the Agenda overview

• command: on-the-agenda:
    • parameters: none
    • example: agenda://x-callback-url/on-the-agenda
  • open the Today overview

• command: today:
    • parameters: none
    • example: agenda://x-callback-url/today
  • open a project

• command: open-project:
    • parameter: title or project-title
    • example: agenda://x-callback-url/open-project?title=Welcome
  • open a note

• command: open-note:
    • parameter: title
    • parameter (optional): project-title
    • example: agenda://x-callback-url/open-note?title=Meeting%20With%20Peta
  • create a note (in the project with the given project title)

• command: create-note:
    • parameter: project-title
    • parameter: text
    • parameter: on-the-agenda (true or false)
    • parameter (optional): date (natural language or absolute dates)
    • parameter (optional): start-date (natural language or absolute dates)
    • parameter (optional): end-date (natural language or absolute dates)
    • example1: agenda://x-callback-url/create-note?project-title=My%20Project&title=New%20Note&text=Hello%20World&on-the-agenda=true&date=2018-03-12
    • example2: agenda://x-callback-url/create-note?project-title=Blogposts&title=New%20Post29&text=Hello%20World&on-the-agenda=false&start-date=yesterday&end-date=tomorrow
  • append text to a note (with the given title)

• command: append-to-note:
    • parameter (optional): project-title
    • parameter: text
    • example: agenda://x-callback-url/append-to-note?title=New%20Note&text=More%20Text

Note: The optional parameters require Agenda for iOS version 2.3 or later.

Read more about x-callback urls at http://x-callback-url.com

Add integration of Things 3
Agenda as a CRM
URL scheme to create a note
How does the new Siri Shortcuts integration work?
Now available: 2.5 beta
X-callback issues in Shortcuts app
Full Things 3 integration
Now available: 2.6 beta

Any chance we’ll be able to share notes with others? Some collaborative features would be welcome (assign notes to other people, let other people edit your notes, dates, etc.).

Thanks!

Nothing to announce, but this is certainly on the radar. It is something that would be good to have.

Thanks for the feedback.

Launching Jan 22. Now available for pre-order from the Mac App Store

Is it possible to get my data out of Agenda? Like in a text markdown format?

Yes, we have options to export your data in the agenda file format (which really is just a zip file containing a JSON file). We also have HTML and Markdown export a premium feature available.

Being able to share and collaborate on notes is a must if I am going to be able to use this for work. I will probably pay for the app but won’t use it much until you add those features.

My husband and I are both Project Managers and we use Notes (Apple) for everything home and work. We have several notes that we share so that we can both update them in real time (i.e. grocer note, home improvement notes, etc) and both see the updates on our respective devices. I imported all my notes when i went premium but it doesnt look like i’m getting his updates now.

We don’t have any sharing of data yet. Agenda doesn’t use the notes database: it is just an import, not a sync.

We do have ideas about collaboration down the track, but for now it is just a personal tool.

Thanks for the feedback!

Is there any plans to support import via the Share Sheet on iOS?

Let’s not forget about macOS, since share extensions are useful there too.

Thank you for this wonderfully promising application! I just noticed that we can export notes from Agenda into OmniOutliner or Outlinely in text mode. Each paragraph becomes an outline header. Interestingly, all indented paragraph become subheader we can collapse under their respective headers. So, we still can convert linear texts from Agenda into bonafide outlines practically on the fly, which is very interesting, to say the least.

A share sheet would be great for Agenda (on macOS and iOS)

So far the seem to be highlighting connecting Agenda info to other apps via links (which is useful!), but more ways to get info into Agenda would also be useful. A “send to Agenda” share sheet fits the bill.

Yes, share extensions are definitely in our roadmap.

Drew

Any way to transfer notes from standard iOS notes app to Agenda?

I successfully used the Mac version File Menu —> Import —> Apple Notes.

All my Apple Notes were imported.

However, I still have the same question regarding iOS. My imported notes are still not showing on my iPad Pro, although the Category I created does show.

Indeed that’s the way to import your notes from Apple Notes (this only works on the Mac).

Do any notes sync? Do these tips help? Syncing between desktop and iOS

I am still unclear about exporting a project. I can see the gear icon under an individual note to share but I don’t know where to do that to export an entire project. Please help.

Hi there, I’m trying to import my notes in Apple REMINDER (not Apple Notes) to Agenda.

Is there a way to do it? If not, is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Daryl