Date Assignments and Export Formatting

I’ve been using Agenda for 3 days and my experience has been mixed. I’m very impressed with the app and think a date focused note taking app could help me in a big way. I’m considering moving my notes from Bear but thought I’d ask a few questions first to see what the community thinks.

I often export my journaling at the end of the year and like that I can highlight and export multiple notes as one document. It saves me a lot of time when exporting like this since I usually break down my journals by month but like to condense a year into one document for archiving.

• Would it be possible to assign individual journal entries (text) within a note to a separate date or event on my calendar? At the moment it’s only possible to assign a date to individual notes so I’d have to create a new note for every journal entry. I don’t need to break out my entries into individual notes but don’t mind doing this this. It seems that it would just make managing a large number of notes by month or year more difficult.

• When exporting individual notes together, Agenda puts a lot of space in between notes. Would it be possible to manage how much space exists between notes when exported like this?

• Would you allow users to customize the way that dates are formatted within a note or on export? Currently when I import notes with dates into other apps the formatting is varied and not the same experience as when view in Agenda.

• Could the date become the title of a note? I don’t title my journal entries and instead just put the date.

• When notes or projects are exported as pdf they include the “Mark as On the agenda” bubble. This feels like something that is only needed inside the app but don’t see a need for it on export.

One last thing is that the app has been crashing a lot when copy/pasting. I haven’t discovered any patterns with when this happens but notice that other users have had this same frustrating experience. It’s hard for me to want to switch from a much more stable app but imagine this kind of polish just takes time.

Looking forward to learning more about Agenda. I appreciate you reading through my questions and feedback.

Would it be possible to assign individual journal entries (text) within a note to a separate date or event on my calendar? At the moment it’s only possible to assign a date to individual notes so I’d have to create a new note for every journal entry. I don’t need to break out my entries into individual notes but don’t mind doing this this. It seems that it would just make managing a large number of notes by month or year more difficult.

Indeed it’s only possible to have one calendar date/event per note. One thing you could consider is to keep one “project” per month or year, possibly within a “Journal” category, and if you split per month, a year subcategory.

When exporting individual notes together, Agenda puts a lot of space in between notes. Would it be possible to manage how much space exists between notes when exported like this?

You mean export as plain text or export as PDF? We don’t yet have many configuration options when it comes to printing/exporting, something we’d like to eventually allow more control over.

Would you allow users to customize the way that dates are formatted within a note or on export?
Currently when I import notes with dates into other apps the formatting is varied and not the same experience as when view in Agenda.

Same thing, though in general we follow the localisation settings of your system.

Could the date become the title of a note? I don’t title my journal entries and instead just put the date.

If you check in the Agenda preferences to automatically assign new notes to Today, that is exactly what will be done.

When notes or projects are exported as pdf they include the “Mark as On the agenda” bubble. This feels like something that is only needed inside the app but don’t see a need for it on export.

Here we disagree, it contains useful info a lot of users will want to also have in the print out, it also helps to visually separate notes from each other. At the moment we don’t allow to hide it, comes back to perhaps offering more options down the line.

One last thing is that the app has been crashing a lot when copy/pasting. I haven’t discovered any patterns with when this happens but notice that other users have had this same frustrating experience.

Hmm, that shouldn’t happen. Can you make sure you submit the crash reports and mention you did copy/paste just before?

It’s hard for me to want to switch from a much more stable app but imagine this kind of polish just takes time.

Thanks for your understanding and patience, and yes, we do aim at continuous polishing to fix these kind of issue.